10.22.2008

The Infamous Fuzzy Ball Chair

I bought a wingback chair with matching ottoman and a big bag of pink and red yarn at Salvation Army last spring for $14.00. I had a plan; I would cover them completely with fuzzy balls (also known as pom-poms) hand made entirely from salvaged thrift store yarn. I estimated it would take me a couple more skeins of yarn and a productive weekend.

200 skeins of yarn (some unfortunately bought new as the exhibition deadline loomed), a gaggle of supportive (if not bemused) friends and 3 cans of 3M Orange super adhesive spray later; the fuzzy ball chair is finished.

It turned out to be way more functional than I ever imagined it would be (those balls are seriously adhered) and to clean it one could just trim off a bit of the yarn or replace a ball here and there as needed.

If I were to do it again (no, no, I am not doing it again) I would make all the balls first and lay out a more cohesive pattern. I thought I had enough balls on four separate occasions and went to town adhering only to discover that I again, needed more yarn.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool!! I love it. And I really like the randomness of the patterns. Maybe I could do that with a child's chair....

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Wow! amazing chair.
I have just found you via flickr.
I think your work is beautiful.x
Best wishes
Michala

Doda said...

wow ! that's fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful chair, so unique!
Thankyou for posting:)
Peace, Sarah.

Unknown said...

OMG, I SO love this!!! How inspired!!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely hideous.